I’ve been asked dozens and dozens of times to help girls with their stage walk or presence. Little tips here and there can make a WORLD of difference!
Stage is my strong suit. I’m tall so I use it to my advantage, BUT you don’t have to be tall to have a strong stage presence. For instance, a few stage pointers can go a very long way. These are ones I have always enjoyed sharing with fellow SPARKLE sisters:
- Shoulders back, chest up, hips tucked. Posture is presence!
- Don’t let the dress wear YOU: YOU WEAR THE DRESS!
- Take YOUR time! Girls, you have paid thousands of dollars to be on that stage! You’ve paid for that gorgeous gown, take YOUR TIME showing it off!
- Do not rush! Even in swim, especially if you are a Mrs.! When you rush you bounce, and we ALL have body parts as a Mrs. that we don’t want to see bouncing.
- Let your presence be known! Having a separate stage impact by taking a moment for your presence to be known. Take a small moment ( maybe count to 3 seconds) and have your presence to be known. For instance in gown, when they call my name down to the center or my initial call out for gown on stage. I take a few seconds and pause. I don’t move I just look around. I Stay on that mark for a few seconds, like you have “Arrived”. Or when you’ve completed your gown walk and hit your last mark, make an impression, let the world know your there, soak it in, take a second! Not too long, Just a few seconds is all it takes to give that extra “wow”.
- When you hit your marks, Don’t rush through your poses. You don’t want to look like your in a cheer or dance competition. You want it classy and ladylike, separate the poses gracefully.
- Always STEP FORWARD never back! When you step toward someone it shows confidence, when you step back it shows fear and intimidation. Think about the way you pose: 90% of you thinking right now just realized after your initial pose on your mark you step BACK to get into your next pose! Do not step back! Step forward THEN back! It makes a big difference in confidence. I used to do the same thing for the longest time before I ever realized I was guilty… every time!
- Give that last look! Over the shoulder before you exit, while you are walking off, or as you exit. Catch your eye with someone else as you smile. It shows gentle confidence and security, also helps you give that remember me feel
These are just a few little stage presence tips I feel can make a world of difference for someone trying to improve their SPARKLE presence. BUT through my years helping with workshops or helping a fellow SPARKLE sister shine, I realize the one thing I’ve learned over and over, and I know you’ve heard before too if you can’t make someone love themselves or FEEL Beautiful is they don’t already believe it themselves.
The girl with the most beautiful stage presence is one that KNOWS she can wear a paper bag and it wouldn’t matter. She could model it with confidence the same she would the as the most perfect gown she had made just for her. It wouldn’t matter because…
The one thing no one can help you with is how you TRULY FEEL about yourself!
THIS SHOWS ON STAGE WETHER YOU to try to flaunt it or hide it! This is the thing about STAGE PRESENCE…
Is you can’t teach or pageant coach someone into truly LOVING themselves! That comes with time and internal worth and perspective.
I can try and tell a girl she’s just as deserving and beautiful to be on that stage 110 times over until I’m blue in the face! BUT if she can’t FEEL it for herself… none of these tips or what anyone trying to teach you will make any bit of difference!
I always say, I really wish we could all see through a double-sided mirror two images: one is the image of how others view us and the other how we view ourselves, they would be so different. We are so hard on ourselves sometimes. I can pick apart any picture of myself so horribly, then have someone else think it’s beautiful. We all do that, but I wish for stage EVERY SPARKLE girl could see and FEEL how absolutely breathtakingly beautiful they can be IF they could FEEL that way, even just for a few moments to shine.
Know your own beauty, know your worth, and FEEL it. That will only be the greatest improvement in your stage presence and in LIFE.
Happy Tuesday Mom Queens!
I hope some of these tips can help you FEEL a difference in the way you CAN SPARKLE!